Full name: Ricky Thomas Ponting
Date of birth: 19 December 1974 (age 46)
Place of birth: Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Spouse: Rianna Jennifer Cantor (m. 2002)
Height: 178 cm (5 ft 10 in)
Batting style: Right-hand bat
Bowling style: Right arm medium
Role: Batsman ODI shirt no 14 ( was 9 in 1996)
Ricky Ponting wife, Family Imformation
- Ricky Ponting is the eldest among Graeme and Lorraine Ponting’s four children. Ricky’s father Graeme was “a good club cricketer” and he also played Australian rules football, while Lorraine his mother was a state vigoro champion.His uncle Greg Campbell played Test cricket for Australia in 1989 and 1990
- In June 2002, Ricky Ponting was married to Rianna Jennifer Cantor who was his longtime girlfriend. Ponting in one of his books, referring to her first meeting with Rianna, wrote that she had come to see the match with her brother. During the lunch session, when I saw Rianna, I was stunned. Gradually we came in contact with each other. Then one day I went to meet Rianna at her university. Our love started from here. Ponting attributes his successful cricket career to his wife
- Rianna is still very beautiful today. Ponting has 3 children, 2 daughters, and a son from Rianna. Rianna gave birth to the first daughter in July 2008.
Ricky Ponting Achievements, Career information
- A young and raw Ricky Ponting burst into the international arena in the year 1995 as he debuted in both the formats. He had amassed a big stature in the domestic circuit for having the capability to score the big runs and most people were in wonder of his skill set.
- However, disciplinary issues were equally usual with Ricky back then and it did bother him in the initial years of his international career as well. But, he managed to step up in his career and from the 1998-99 season, he started to mature steadily into a top flight batsman.
- He started out as a middle order batsman and later he started to take ownership of the pivotal number three slot which he did make iconic in the years ahead.
- The initial ball of Ponting’s batting was the highlight of absolute intent he had. It wouldn’t necessarily be an miraculous shot but it would be a positive beginning stepping forward and he didn’t mind playing the pull/hook shot even off the front foot with incredible ease.
- In fact, that stroke went onto become Ponting’s identity shot in his career. He rarely let the bowlers to dictate his techniques and most of the times he bullied them into submission.
- When Steve Waugh declined, captaincy came to Ponting in 2002 when he was at the peak of his powers as a batsman. And in the next five years he became a successful batsman and in his captainship he won consecutive World Cups and Champions Trophy titles and he became a next-level batsman. He became one of the most successful captain in the international cricket history.
Post international retirement
- Ponting continued to play in the IPL for Mumbai Indians and after his international retirement he played in the BBL i.e. the Big Bash League. And similar to many retired cricketers, he took up the commentary work and fared pretty well for Ten Sports and Channel 9.
- He also mentored the Mumbai Indians in the ninth season of IPL along with Sachin Tendulkar and later on succeeded John Wright as their coach.